Friday, October 14, 2011

Imitation

Would you catch me if I fall?
I hear you hesitate, I hear you stall
like one tripping on a crack;
stammering foot, stuttering answer
would you cure the cancer
eating angrily at my well-formed thoughts and creeds
like the insect intent on destroying weeds?
Answers though, don't come sailing
but instead with fractious failing,
They topple with the vicious waves.
I know you might
if I would fight.



Pretty sure that no one would recognize this as modeled after T.S. Eliot.  But I had to attempt.  Not because I love him so much (quite the opposite) but because this was too coincidental.  I'm currently a student of English Literature.  I'd been sailing along quite nicely - until "The Waste Land".  I read it and didn't understand a word.  Furthermore, I thought, "This is insane.  He was insane!  And yet, he's supposed to be some poetical genius.  And surely I'm supposed to 'get' him.  I have to 'get' him.  If I don't, I've made a mistake in my field of study."  Frustrated, I grabbed my six year old daughter and said, "We're going to write a poem.  Go grab some random books - we're referencing them."  So we wrote a nonsense poem including nursery rhyme references as well as references from Hemingway, amongst others.  The next day, my teacher admitted that she found this poem to be 'exclusive'.  That the references were so many it would be hard for most to follow.  The above poem, I modeled after the first stanza in "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" which I enjoyed so much more than "The Waste Land."  


Submitting at dVerse

7 comments:

  1. Interesting that you modeled your write after poetry of a poet you dislilke. I will say that was brave of you. A creative work indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a good poem.
    BTW T.S.Eliot didn't want to be understood....easily. that was his dictum: poetry had to be hard. He and Pound..geesz.
    I like your poem, though modeled upon Eliot.
    I especially savor the lines:
    would you cure the cancer
    eating angrily at my well-formed thoughts and creeds
    like the insect intent on destroying weeds?
    good poem. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. intriguing write...i really like the opening question...like one tripping on a crack is and intersting line for me...you dance the words well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eliot is in a class of his own - he takes years and years of exclusive study. I liked your poem for what it is: musical, creative, thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice progression of life questions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this a lot, and especially enjoyed your honesty about Eliot. I remember a college course that we spent weeks on his work and I'm not sure if I ever quite got it. Your poem worked well for me. Thanks for tackling the challenge! Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you liv2write2day, Never got Eliot. Why bother when we have William Carlos Williams and Edna St Vincent Millay. Well done.


    Melanie

    ReplyDelete