Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Green Room

Hanging in the green room at 12 news.  First time here.  I'm excited but edgy.  My stomach's flipping all over the place.  What the heck am I doing here?  Yes, this is my dream.  My face seen, my voice heard.  So why do I feel like a fraud?  Obviously, they want to hear me, see me.  Clearly, someone believes in me. In my message.  I've been prepped.  They've attempted to calm me- but still.  Man, I'm anxious.  It's a good thing they had me come early because I need to breathe.  Would it be awkward if I did yoga right here?  Probably.  No, really, it's quite nice in here.  Hey, it's actually green.  The walls, the couch.  Green.  And a nice, sage sort of green.  A settling green.  And there are plants.  Plants of all shades of green.  Hmm, too much green.    Ok, down dives my head.  Between my legs.  I hope I don't need a paper bag.  Shoot.  They just called my name......here goes.  Wish me luck.

Status Anxiety-Write On Wednesdays Exercise 6 - Status Anxiety: Log onto your Facebook/Twitter page and write down the first status update you see.  Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after your prompt. Stop when the buzzer rings. Do this exercise over and over if you wish. If you don't do the social media thing (there's bound to be some who haven't succumbed!) email me and I'll send you a status update from one of my social media accounts. If you feel uncomfortable about using one of your friend's status updates, consider using the most recent update on Lamebook, the home of the funniest and lamest Facebook status updates. -  prompt from inkpaperpen where I'm submitting today.

9 comments:

  1. Nice stream of consciousness. I really like the yoga reference.

    --Feisty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we did a lot of stream of consciousness exercises in the first few weeks. I really enjoy this form of writing. I agree with Feisty Cat, I liked the Yoga reference. If you continued with this story, I think it would be really interesting if she did start doing Yoga! Be interesting to see what reaction she got.

    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose this exercise for this week, too. I like what you've done with yours, and I like the style of the short sentences, giving the sense of anxiety the character has here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. You can definitely feel the anxiety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny thing is, it really was green! :) Glad I was able to inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could feel the almost breathlessness of this as I was reading it. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt tense just reading this! You conveyed that across really well with the stream of consciousness.
    Funny how we yearn to achieve certain things, but then when we get close to acquiring them we can get so nervous and question if we're really doing the right thing?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can really feel the anxiety and stress here! Made me feel nervous just reading it.

    ReplyDelete