Thursday, January 17, 2013

En Face


EN FACE
Confession: 

This
         fanfare,
an utter failure.
                   I resign.
                   I hereby rescind the nonexistent offer for profession as director, which I before accepted.
                    I’m quite unqualified.
  Fair maiden role, as well,
        I retire –
and vixen, too;
creation not for me. 
                              My motives
questionable,
You and I and you and I and you and I collide.  Dim the lights, Je ne regarderai pas en arrière.
Yes, all the world’s a stage and I’ve produced nothing but confusion.  Slave to my own delusions and master of mendacity, ill at best and cruel at worst. 
Falling
                                        fool,
fouetté,
against
 a stale sort
              of scenery, rotting. 

                               The slate clean, now,
    the circus is leaving town,
                                       without me.  I’ll steal no more the show.  I am slowing to a walk, a child
            chastised,
breathing hard. 
Convictions galore, handed over with the drama. 
                                                                Molded new and humbled by hands not my                   own.
I’ve harmed enough.  
The curtain closes.



No comments:

Post a Comment